Now the official cause has been released.
According to reports, officials have confirmed that Prince died of an overdose.
A Minnesota autopsy found an opioid overdose caused the unexpected April 21 death of musical megastar Prince inside his sprawling Paisley Park compound, the Associated Press reported.
The results were made public weeks after a four-hour autopsy by local Chief Medical Examiner Dr. A. Quinn Strobl.
A preponderence of evidence has since suggested Prince’s sudden death at age 57 was linked to prescription painkiller abuse. Prince, citing “the flu,” canceled a pair of early April live shows.
He was spied hanging outside a local Walgreens pharmacy in the days before his death. Reports indicated the Oscar and Grammy winner nearly overdosed on Percocet while flying home from his final concert performance in Atlanta on April 14.
By: Amanda Anderson-Niles