Man, 29, two children die allegedly inhaling ‘generator’ fumes

imagesA man and his two children have died from allegedly inhaling fumes from a generating set kept in their room overnight.

Dauda Tahiru, 29, and his two children, Inusa Dauda, 2, and Saramatu Dauda, an 11 month baby, were found unconscious by worried neighbours who wondered why the family were still sleeping at about 10a.m.

The three were pronounced dead on arrival at the Lapaz Community Hospital in Accra.

However, the mother of the children, Muntari Latifa, 21, who was also taken to the same hospital in an unconscious state survived. She has since been discharged from the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital where she was admitted for three days.

The family was said to have used the generating set to supply power to their room during a power outage on the night of March 15, 2015.

Neighbours break door

Briefing the Daily Graphic, the Tesano Divisional Commander, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP), Mr Francis Aboagye Nyarko, said investigations revealed that the family who lived in a compound house at Nii Boi Town Container, put a generating set in their room where they slept.

He said at about 9:30a.m on March 16, 2015, the tenants in the compound house became worried when the family was not seen in the morning, which  they described as unusual.

Mr Aboagye Nyarko said some of the neighbours knocked on the door of the Dauda family but there was no response.

“The co-tenants then broke into the room and found all four members of the family unconscious and they quickly took them to the nearest hospital,” Mr Aboagye Nyarko said.

No foul play

At the Lapaz Community Hospital, he said the doctor pronounced the man and his two children dead “but the woman was breathing.”

He said the medical personnel at the hospital managed to revive Latifa who was immediately referred to the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital.

The bodies of the three were also sent to the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital morgue.

Mr Aboagye Nyarko said the police had completed its preliminary investigations “but we do not suspect any foul play.”

Earlier incident 

This is the second incident in Accra since the beginning of this year.

On February 3, 2015, Frank Arhin, 32, and Sandra Boateng, 30, believed to be lovers, were found dead in their single room on suspicion that they were asphyxiated by the fumes from a generating set which was on a chair in their room, at Gbegbeyise, near Dansoman, in Accra.

After a postmortem was conducted on the two bodies at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, their body parts were also taken to the Ghana Standards Authority (GSA) for a special analysis, which confirmed that they died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

source:

graphiconline

Leave a Reply