Haiti-born hip-hop star Wyclef Jean has been released from hospital after being treated for a gunshot wound to his hand, his spokesman has said.
the shooting took place after 2300 local time on Saturday near the Haitian capital Port-au-Prince, said Joe Mignon, senior programme director for Jean's Yele Foundation.
The shooting comes on the eve of presidential elections in Haiti.
Jean, 41, is supporting fellow musician Michel Martelly.
Jean's brother, Samuel, confirmed his sibling was shot but had no further details.
Jean's Twitter feed stated: “We have spoken to Wyclef, he is OK. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers – Management.”
A spokesman for the Haitian National Police could not be immediately reached for comment.
The presidential election was originally scheduled for 2010, but was delayed due to the devastating earthquake that struck the country in January last year. It killed an estimated 230,000 people and left more than one million homeless.
Jean had intended last year to run for president but last August, Haiti's electoral council ruled that Jean was not eligible to run for president in his home country.
It was because he did not meet a requirement that presidential candidates maintain five consecutive years of residency in the country before running.
He withdrew his bid and said he planned to release an album, called If I Were President: The Haitian Experience, in 2011.No tags for this post.